How to use an Acupressure mat for sciatica?
Acupressure mats have been used for centuries in Asia to relieve pain and tension. Today, these mats are becoming increasingly popular in the United States to treat chronic pain conditions such as sciatica.
Sciatica is a condition that results from irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve runs from the lower back, through the buttocks, and down the leg. Sciatica results in pain that can be severe and debilitating; it also can result in numbness or tingling sensations throughout one or both legs.
Although many people experience discomfort while trying to sleep, especially on a hard surface, acupressure mats are often used as an alternative to medication for treating sciatica. This article discusses how to use an acupressure mat for sciatica relief.
PRESSURE POINTS ON ACUPRESSURE MAT FOR SCIATICA RELIEF
How Does It Work?
The principle of acupressure is based on the theory that there are specific points around your body where you can stimulate nerves and relieve pain. These pressure points are located along meridians, pathways on the body that connect to your internal organs.
In acupressure, you use your hands or fingers to apply firm but gentle pressure to the pressure points around your body. This action stimulates the nerves and releases endorphins, natural chemicals in your brain that work as a pain reliever.
How to Use an Acupressure Mat?
There are a few different ways that you can use an acupressure mat:
1. Place the mat on the floor and lie down on it.
2. Place the mat on a bed or couch and sit or recline on it.
3. Wrap the mat around your body and apply pressure to the points with your hands or fingers.
4. Place the mat on a chair and sit on it.
No matter how you choose to use the mat, make sure to apply pressure for at least five minutes at a time. You can do this by lying, sitting, or gently rocking.
Replace Your Pillow with an Acupressure Mat. You should lie face down on the mat and place the pressure points directly under your body. You can also use a pillow to support your head.
If you find the mat uncomfortable or too stiff, you can try using a thin foam pad or blanket between the mat and your body.
Blue Acupressure Mats for Sciatica Relief
The best type of acupressure mat for sciatica relief is a blue one. Blue mats have more pressure points than other colors and are designed to target the areas where people commonly experience pain. Since you only need to use the mat for 5-10 minutes at a time, it is recommended that you purchase an hourglass-shaped mat.
An acupressure mat can provide sciatica relief when used for five to ten minutes at a time. Pressure points on the mat stimulate nerve endings in your body, releasing endorphins and easing pain. You can also use an acupressure mat while you sleep to alleviate pain by increasing blood flow.
Although acupressure mats are available online or in stores, they are not always affordable. Some people make their acupressure mats with items around the house, such as rubber tubes filled with beans or rice under your back. Try using this type of homemade acupressure mat before buying one you see on the Internet or in a store.
1. In acupuncture, thin needles are inserted into pressure points around your body to alleviate symptoms of various conditions.
2. While some types of acupressure mats provide stimulation through electronic impulses instead of applying manual pressure, it is believed that there is little difference between traditional acupressure mats and modern versions. Acupuncture research has found that acupressure may be more beneficial than acupuncture for some conditions, such as tension headaches.
3. The principle of acupressure can be particularly beneficial when applied during sleep. Instead of using your regular pillow, try lying on an acupressure mat while you sleep. It will increase circulation in your body throughout the night and help relieve pain.
4. Although acupressure mats can be very effective at reducing the symptoms of certain conditions, it is essential to note that they are not a replacement for medical advice or treatment from your doctor.
How Does a Conventional Mattress Cause Back Pain?
If you wake up with back pain, your mattress may likely be to blame. Some beds can put pressure on points in your body and restrict blood flow, leading to pinched nerves and increased pain.
In contrast, an acupressure mat stimulates pressure points around your body, which can help increase blood flow and reduce pain.
You don’t need to suffer from back pain any longer. An acupressure mat can provide relief when used for a few minutes at a time, and it is a relatively inexpensive way to improve your well-being. Try using an acupressure mat today to start feeling better!